Polk County Innovative Approaches
Growing Change for Children & Youth With Special Health Care Needs
Care Notebook Sections English and Español
Cuaderno de Cuidado (Care Notebook en Español)
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK for UPDATES, TRAINING, EVENTS, and FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES!
Who we are:
Innovative Approaches aims to improve the system of care for children and youth with special healthcare needs (up to age 21) through collaborations and partnerships with parents of children and youth with special needs, medical providers, and community agencies.
Why it matters:
Every child deserves the opportunity to grow and succeed. Children with special healthcare needs can thrive and succeed in life when their families are fully integrated into the community where they live. Because so many services touch their lives, it does take a community to ensure they successfully enter adulthood. In Polk County, we treasure our children and families and want everyone to think of this as their home – the place they belong, where they can achieve their dreams.
What we can do about it:
Innovative Approaches is a community-based effort to ensure the services our community provides to children with special healthcare needs will be available. Polk County communities can use the Innovative Approaches process to ensure that all of our children can thrive right here in the place they call home. Contact us to learn how you can help make the vision a sustainable reality.
For more information, contact Marjorie Vestal by phone at (828) 899-0876 or by email at Mvestal@polknc.org.
Parent Advisory Council (PAC):
The Parent Advisory Council is a diverse group of parents and guardians of children and youth with special health care needs. The PAC is committed to advocating and educating other families, local partners, and providers on ways to improve the care system for families with children with special needs.
¡ÚNETE HOY! Presentar solicitud de autonominación. HAGA CLIC AQUÍ.
Care Notebooks are a way to simplify record keeping and store information about many services available to you and your child.
The Care Notebook is available in hard copy or download, and you can create your personalized book by choosing just the pages you need. The PDF forms are fillable, so you can enter your child’s information on a computer or smartphone if you wish and save it online, or you can print out the pages and enter your child’s information by hand.
To request a free Care Notebook hard copy, please contact Marjorie Vestal by email at Mvestal@polknc.org.
Follow These Steps to Set Up Your Child’s Care Notebook
Step 1: Gather information you already have.
- Gather any health information about your child you already have. This may include reports from recent doctor’s visits, a current summary of any hospital stays, this year’s school plan, test results, or informational pamphlets.
Step 2: Look through the pages of the Care Notebook (see below)
- Which of these pages could help you keep track of information about your child’s health or care?
- Print the entire Notebook or choose just the pages you like. Consider printing extra of the pages you will use more.
Step 3: Decide which information about your child is most important to include.
- What information do you look up often?
- What information do people caring for your child need?
- Consider storing other information in a file drawer or box where you can find it if needed.
Step 4: Put the Care Notebook together.
- Everyone has a different way of organizing information. The only important thing is to make it easy to find again. Here are some suggestions for supplies used to create a Care Notebook:
- 3-ring Notebook or large accordion envelope to hold papers securely.
- Tabbed dividers. Create your information sections.
- Pocket dividers. Store report. Store business cards and photographs.
Use selected pages or the entire notebook – customize.
Sections of Care Notebook in ENGLISH
Paso 1: Reúna la información que ya tiene
- Reúna cualquier información de salud sobre su hijo que ya tenga. Esto puede incluir informes de visitas médicas recientes, resumen reciente de estadías en el hospital, plan escolar de este año, resultados de exámenes o folletos informativos.
Paso 2: Revisa las páginas del Cuaderno de Cuidado (ver abajo)
- ¿Cuál de estas páginas podría ayudarlo a realizar un seguimiento de la información sobre la salud o el cuidado de su hijo?
- Imprima todo el Cuaderno o elija solo las páginas que desee. Considere imprimir más de las páginas que usará más.
- Si no tiene acceso a una impresora, comuníquese con el Centro de información de salud de familia a familia (F2F) o la Organización afiliada de Family Voices (FVAO) de su estado.
Paso 3: Decida qué información sobre su hijo es más importante incluir
- ¿Qué información busca con frecuencia?
- ¿Qué información necesitan las personas que cuidan a su hijo?
- Considere almacenar otra información en un cajón o caja de archivos donde pueda encontrarla si es necesario.
Paso 4: Arme el Cuaderno de Cuidado
- Cada quien tiene una forma diferente de organizar la información. Lo único importante es que te sea fácil encontrarlo de nuevo. Estas son algunas sugerencias de materiales utilizados para crear un Cuaderno de Cuidado:
- Libreta de 3 anillas o sobre grande tipo acordeón para sujetar papeles de forma segura.
- Separadores tabulados. Crea tus propias secciones de información.
- Separadores de bolsillo. Almacenar informes.
- Hojas de plástico. Almacenar tarjetas de presentación y fotografías.
Use páginas seleccionadas o todo el cuaderno: personalice.
Secciones del Cuaderno de Cuidados en Español
Information & Support For Parents and Patients
Nc211.org-NC 211 is an information and referral service provided by United Way of North Carolina. Families and individuals can dial 2-1-1 or 1-888-892-1162 to obtain free and confidential information on health and human services and resources within their community.
www.vayahealth.com-Vaya Health is a public managed care organization (MCO) that oversees Medicaid, federal, state and local funding for services and supports related to mental health, substance use disorder and intellectual/developmental disabilities.
FINDHELP.ORG-Search and connect to support. Financial assistance, food pantries, medical care, and other free or reduced-cost help.Family Voices-A national, nonprofit, family-led organization promoting quality health care for all children and youth, particularly those with special health care needs. Locate your Family-to-Family Health Information Center by state.
Government Affairs Overview - AMCHP-AMCHP is proud to serve as our members’ eyes, ears and voice in Washington, DC. We advocate in support of federal programs to improve the health of women, children and their families. AMCHP works with federal agencies, Members of Congress and their staff, and partners to garner support for the Title V Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Services Block Grant and other MCH programs.
Caremap developed by Boston Children’s Hospital is a secure place to put the most critical information about your child’s health, emergency care, allergies and medical history. It is shareable with family members, teachers, and caretakers. For Apple devices only.
Medical ID is a standard Medical ID that could be used for teens and young adults to take an active role in their health care. It is available for Apple or Android phone and keeps records of medications, doctors and emergency contacts. While this is not a complete record, it is a good basic summary with links to medical records. It is designed for the cell phone owner.
Child Health Tracker-The Child Health Tracker APP by Healthy Children (a branch of the American Academy of Pediatrics) is handy because it stores your child’s medical information, healthcare providers, and a medication tracker. It also has information from AAP about immunizations and more. For Apple devices only.Epsy is a free seizure tracker for epilepsy. It helps you track and manage seizures, triggers and medication for more clarity in everyday life. It is HIPPA compliant and a great tool to share important information with your child’s neurologist.
How to reach out to your representatives guidebook
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK for UPDATES, TRAINING, EVENTS, and FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES!