Board of Elections
Candidate Filing for the 2024 Primaries
Begins: December 4th, 2023 @ 12:00pm.
Ends: December 15th, 2023 @ 12:00pm.
Filing is in-person at the Board of Elections office.
Please call 828-894-8181 with any questions
NC House District 113 (filing fee $139.51)
NC Senate District 48 (filing fee $139.51)
County Commissioner (3) (filing fee $138.88)
Register of Deeds (filing fee $763.91)
Board of Education (3) (filing fee $36.00)
(White Oak, Tryon (Covil), Saluda)
Photo ID laws will be in effect in 2024.
List of acceptable Photo ID's
(NC Drivers licenses are acceptable)
Free Photo ID's are available for registered voters. Click here for info.
Next Board of Elections Meetings:
Meetings are scheduled on the first Thursday of every month @ 4pm.
Womack Building, 2nd floor Courtroom
40 Courthouse St. Columbus NC
Board of Elections Office
Womack Building, 40 Courthouse St. Columbus NC 28722
30 Day Residency Notice:
You must be a resident of North Carolina and of Polk County at least 30 days prior to any Municipal, Primary, General Election or Presidential Election.
Campaign Finance Information www.ncsbe.gov
The Polk County Board of Elections is committed to conducting fair, honest, impartial and efficient elections so that all qualified citizens in Polk County may exercise their right to vote. The Elections Office is responsible for conducting all elections in Polk County, including municipal, county, state, and federal elections, as well as special referenda.
- -Maintain Voter Registration Records
- -Receive Candidate Filing for General Assembly and local candidates
- -Campaign Finance office for local candidates/committees
- -Provide for Remote Absentee Voting
- -Provide for Election Day Voting
- -Report Election Day Results to Public and Authorities
- -Evaluate and Improve Election Services
- -Provide Election Reports and Statistical Information
- -Provide Precinct Official Training and Educate Election Day Officials
Other Community Services Include:
- -Provide voter and precinct information to public
- -Provide registration materials and advice for community registration drives
- -Visit community groups for voter/election education
NC State Board of Elections Web site = http://www.ncsbe.gov/
The following are the Board Members for 2023-2025:
Chair Dr. Warren Carson, Member Stephen King, Member Keith Holbert, Member Libbie Johnson, and Secretary Scott Woodworth
Director of Elections
Board of Elections Address (Physical and Mailing)
40 Courthouse St.
Columbus, NC 28722
PO Box 253
8:30 am -5:00 PM Mon-Fri